Monday, November 22, 2010

Review: Kitty's House of Horrors (Kitty Norville, Book 7) by Carrie Vaughn

I really loved this series and bought the first ones but stopped around about the time Kitty and Ben went to Las Vegas.  I don't know why.  I guess I burned out on supernatural romances or all the angst in Kitty's life got to me.  I picked up Carrie Vaughn's latest.  Very strange-- Apocalypse meets fantasy but very well written.  That got me back into Kitty's life again.

This is Kitty alone and in the wild and being hunted.  It wasn't too hard to guess the villains and Vaughn drops huge clunking hints all along the way.  BUT, Kitty is still appealing.  She's an alpha not because of super fighting skills or toughness but mostly because she's a caregiver.  She takes people under her wing and naturally stands up to bullying.  She protects.  All too often shifter romances interpret alpha behavior as very macho and take charge when its really about care giving.  The burden that must be in the long haul.  Like parenting teenagers for life!  Anyway, the title is ridiculous, of course.  The house isn't horrible at all--your basic beautiful, remote luxury hunting/fishing lodge in a remote region.  No lurking ghosts, possessions or hidden passages.  The horrors are outside peaking in and disturbing the beauty of the setting.

I've got the next in the series and will see if I like it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment